Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 17: A Picture of Something that has Recently had a Huge Impact on Your Life

The MU Quad in the fall; campus is B-E-A-UTIFUL in the fall!
I would have to say that transferring to OSU last fall has had a huge impact on my life.  I haven't finished my first year here and I've already done so much networking and made connections with some great people whom I know will be good resources throughout my college career!  When I first started the pre-dietetics program I learned that the hardest/most competitive part is getting into an internship.  A GPA of 3.7 or higher is recommended and they also look at your volunteer work and other extra curriculars; they want people who are passionate about what they're doing and get as involved as possible.  I didn't have a quantitative amount to work with; I didn't know how much extra curricular activity I should participate in, so I just wanted to do it all.  Plus I didn't know where to go for this kind of opportunity and connection; I was panicking a little!  But, I was encouraged to join the Student Dietetics Association (SDA) on campus and they are always involved in a lot of activities happening on campus.  March was National Nutrition Month so for the first four days of the month we put on a huge tent event in the MU Quad.  In a few weeks we're partnering with the Organic Growers Club for their Hoo-Ha event; I think the name can tell you it's going to be a great time!  It's circus themed so there are all different performers and rides and games and food and FUN!  I'm also joining a committee for a project called "Take Back the Tap." It's purpose is to get information out to the campus population about the importance of water and using reusable water containers, etc.

I was also informed about the Undergraduate Research Award Program (URAP) on campus awarded by the College of Health and Human Sciences.  There are several research programs being facilitated by campus faculty who are looking for undergraduate apprentices and researchers; so, I applied for the "Producing for the Future" project and was accepted!  This is the gardening project I've been working on recently.  By the way, our garden is looking pretty killer right now.  The only things planted are peas, raspberries and strawberries, and today they're planting onions.  However, this garden is friggen huge!  Like 10,000 sq. ft. and we have this cool irrigation system running through it and straw paths and it just looks like it will be this big, bountiful production this summer. Unfortunately I don't have a recent picture, but trust me, it's cool.


This is only about a quarter of the garden!
 I also took an Extension class last term which got us involved in the different resources provided by Extension.  The class required us to do some assisting on projects being done by Extension which helped me form new connections.  While at the project I assisted with (which was an Iron Chef competition at the Boys & Girls Club with kids and their families, too cute!) I was working with the new SDA president so she and I got to chat about the dietetics program and the future of SDA .  Then, we were approached by the Extension food & nutrition agent who asked if SDA would be interested in assisting her with a project called Teen Maze where tons of kids are bused in from area schools and learn about healthy lifestyle choices.

So, it's only my first year here and look at the connections I've made!  I'll have an amazing networking system by the end of my fourth year :o)  Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment